SONIA NUNES JORGE
Consultant in Telecommunications
Policy, Regulation, Economics
Expertise: Telecommunications regulation, economics and public policy; international telecommunications development and policy; tariff regulation methods and policies; costing methodologies and demand analysis; regulatory and policy responses to privatization and emerging competition; universal service and universal access policy; investment and productivity analysis; and gender issues in ICT policy. Education: Master of Public Policy Candidate, Tufts University, Boston, 1999.
Thesis: A Gender Analysis of the Economic and Social Crisis in Angola - Urban Womens Strategies to Cope with the Development Crisis
B.A./B.S. Cum Laude in Economics and Business Finance, specialization in International Economics and Development, University of Massachusetts, Boston, 1991.
Certificate of German Language, Goethe Institute of Lisbon, 1987.
Vice-President, David N. Townsend & Associates (1999-present). Provides consulting expertise in the areas of telecommunications policy, regulation and economics, with special focus on regulatory frameworks, universal service and universal access in the context of development, and gender analysis and awareness in the process of planing for information and communication technologies (ICTs).
Recent projects include technical assistance to the Bolivian Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones to determine the price cap system for non-competitive services and the development of the Telecentre Implementation Plan for the Universal Service Agency of the Department of Communications of the Republic of South Africa.
Senior Consultant, Economics and Technology, Inc. (1991-1998)
As a Senior Consultant at ETI, responsibilities included providing expert testimony, economic and regulatory analysis and client support in the areas of telecommunications sector reform, econometric models, regulatory and policy responses to emerging competition, financial and investment analysis, infrastructure development, and costing methodology. Frequently advised national telecommunications ministries and regulatory authorities on issues such as privatization, competitive market entry, and establishment of regulatory frameworks designed to accommodate these policy initiatives.
Contributed to a broad range of projects and regulatory proceedings throughout the US, at both the state and federal levels, as well as projects in international telecommunications policy and economics, tariff comparison and financial analysis, demand modeling and forecasts, regulatory and policy responses to emerging competition, interconnection, and cost models, in Mexico, Turkmenistan, the Philippines, China, Ivory Coast, and Costa Rica. In the course of various international assignments, spent extensive on-site periods conducting several project activities, including research, assistance in implementing new policies and training staff in regulatory methods and analysis.
In the United States, assignments included the development of expert testimony, comments and reports for regulatory proceedings at the FCC and in the state of California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Hawaii on such issues as alternative regulation plans, universal service requirements, costing methodologies, local competition issues, and proposed telecommunications companies mergers. Submitted testimony in the states of Hawaii and Connecticut and testified at the Hawaii Public Utility Commission on costing methodologies.
Since joining ETI in 1991, served as Consultant, Senior Analyst and Analyst.
Research Assistant, University of Massachusetts, Boston. (1989-1991). Provided research and analysis to an Economics Professor and contributed research and analysis for a book in economics theory. In addition, organized and presented workshops in Microeconomics and Financial Theory.
Languages:Portuguese(Native), English (Fluent), Spanish (Fluent), German (Good).
Articles, Papers, Reports:
- "Telecentre Implementation Plan," (with David N. Townsend and Daniel Espitia), prepared for the Universal Service Agency and the Department of Communications of the Republic of South Africa, July 1999.
- "Universal Service Agency Institutional Strengthening Plan," (with David N. Townsend and Daniel Espitia), prepared for the Universal Service Agency and the IDRC, July 1999.
- "Market Study of the Business Local Exchange Market in Cleveland, Ohio," (with Michele Dignum and Andrew Schwartz), prepared for Cablevision Lightpath, Inc., August 1998.
- "Broken Promises: A Review of Bell Atlantic-Pennsylvanias Performance Under Chapter 30,"(with Dr. Lee L. Selwyn and Patricia Kravtin), prepared for AT&T and MCI Telecommunications, June 1998.
- "Patterns of Investment by the Regional Bell Holding Companies: An Examination of the Sources of Financing and the Relative Performance of the Bell Operating Company and the non-BOC RBHC businesses,"(with Dr. Lee L. Selwyn, et al), ETI Research Report, December 1997.
- "Analysis of the Variability of ILEC Common Overhead Costs,"prepared on behalf of AT&T and submitted in various state proceedings in the United States, October 1997.
- "Analysis ofOpportunities for Cross Subsidies Between GTA and GTA Cellular," (with Patricia D. Kravtin and Joseph W. Laszlo), prepared for Guam Cellular & Paging, July 11, 1997.
- "Report on theSouthern New England Telephone Company (SNET)," (with Patricia D. Kravtin, et al), prepared for Cablevision Systems Corporation, July 1997.
- "Assessing Incumbent LEC Claims to Special Revenue Recovery Mechanisms,"(with Patricia D. Kravtin and Lee L. Selwyn, et al), prepared for AT&T and submitted in FCC Docket 96-292, January 29, 1997.
- "ContinuingEvaluation of Cost Proxy Models for Sizing the Universal Service Fund: Analysis of the Similarities and Differences between the Hatfield Model and the BCM2," (with Susan M. Baldwin, Lee L. Selwyn, et al), prepared for NCTA, October 1996.
- "Analysis of Incumbent LEC Embedded Investment: An Empirical Perspective on the "Gap" between Historic Costs and Forward-looking TSLRIC,"(with Lee L. Selwyn, Patricia D. Kravtin, et al), prepared for AT&T and submitted in FCC Docket No. 96-98, Implementation of the Local Competition Provision in the Telecommunications Act of 1996, May 30, 1996.
- "Reply to X-Factor Proposals for the FCC Long-Term LEC Price Cap Plan,"(with Lee L. Selwyn, Patricia D. Kravtin, et al), prepared for the Ad Hoc Telecommunications Users Committee and submitted in FCC Docket 94-1, March 1, 1996.
- "Patterns of Investment by the Regional Bell Holding Companies: An Examination of the Sources of Financing and the Relative Performance of the Bell Operating Company and the non-BOC RBHC businesses,"(with Dr. Lee L. Selwyn and Irena V. Tunkel), ETI Research Report, January 1996.
- "Tariff Comparison in Competitive Markets: The United States Example,"(with David N. Townsend) prepared for the OECD Workshop on Telecommunications Performance Indicators, Paris, September 28, 1995.
- "Commercially Feasible Resale of Local Telecommunications Services: An Essential Step in the Transition to Effective LocalCompetition," (with Dr. Lee L. Selwyn, Susan M. Gately, et al), a report prepared by ETI for AT&T, July 1995.
- "LEC Price Cap Regulation: Fixing the Problems and Fulfilling the Promise,"(with Dr. Lee L. Selwyn, Dr. David J. Roddy, Susan M. Gately and Scott C. Lundquist), a report prepared for the Ad Hoc Telecommunications Committee, CC Docket 94-1, FCC Price Cap Performance Review for Local Exchange Carriers, May 1994.
- "Telecommunications Sector Reforms in Thailand," (with David N. Townsend), in Telecommunications Sector Reform in Asia: Working Papers, The World Bank, March 1994.
- "The Enduring Local Bottleneck: Monopoly Power and the Local Exchange Carriers,"(with Dr. Lee L. Selwyn, Susan M. Gately, et al) a report prepared by ETI and Hatfield Associates for AT&T, MCI and CompTel, February 1994.
- "Assessing the Impact of Pacific Telesis' "Spin-Off" of Wireless Services," (with Jenny H. Yan), in Trends in Communications Policy, October 1993.
- "Patterns of Investment by the Regional Bell Holding Companies," (with Jenny H. Yan), in Trends in Communications Policy, September 1993.
- "Patterns of Investment by the Regional Bell Holding Companies: An Examination of the Sources of Financing and the Relative Performance of the Bell Operating Company and the non-BOC RBHC businesses,"(with Dr. Lee L. Selwyn and Jenny H. Yan), ETI Research Report, May 1993.
- "El Precio del Teléfono: A Comparison of Prices for Telephone Services in Latin America"(with David N. Townsend and Paul S. Keller), ETI report published in April 1992.
- "International TariffComparison", report prepared for the Mexican Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transporte (SCT), February 1992.