David N. Townsend & Associates
Communications Economics, Policy, Regulation
Telecommunications Regulatory Institution Development,
David N. Townsend & Associates provides hands-on assistance in the development and
strengthening of national telecommunications regulatory agencies. This support can include
such tasks as basic planning, needs assessment, development of procedural manuals, review
and recommendation of personnel assignments, budgeting support, and creation of technical
tools such as software and databases.
Typical assignments have involved assisting with the evaluation and reform of tariff
regulation methods and tools, assistance in negotiating interconnection charges and
competitive licenses, and support for the introduction of sophisticated economic analysis
theories and methods among regulatory staff.
(Click here for detailed representative project
- Regulatory Institution Strengthening projects
- The Philippines, National Telecommunications Commission (NTC): Strengthening
the Regulatory Capacity of the NTC (1993-1994)
- Developed and managed a long-term on-site strengthening project for the NTC that
included creation of regulatory software tools and database, workshops, and review of
policies and procedures in tariff regulation, interconnection, and sector development.
- Estados Unidos de México, Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes (SCT):
Strengthening of the Regulatory Capacity of the SCT (1990-1991)
- Provided comprehensive assistance to the SCT in developing its regulatory functions
immediately following the privatization of Telmex, including implementation of the new
tariff regulation system, and complete analysis of agency resource and training
Training Programs in telecommunications regulation, policy, and sector development
- DNTA also offers customized Training Programs in communications policy and regulatory
issues, from sector restructuring to implementation of regulatory priorities. Training
seminars, workshops, and longer-term programs can be designed for individual organizations
and agencies or for larger groups of subscribers, either independently or as part of a
broad-based regulatory or policy support assignment.
Questions? Contact Us
David N. Townsend & Associates Home Page